We thought it would be best to see the Faerie Village exhibit at the Florence Griswold Museum before Hurricane Sandy hit the area. The museum is situated in Old Lyme CT on a river and the exhibit is outdoors. Two days before the storm landed it was sunny and unseasonably warm and you wouldn’t know there was any threat. I felt bad about not having the grandchildren with us, especially when I saw children dressed as fairies for the Faerie parade, but they never would have had the patience that Mr O had with my photo taking. There were over thirty houses to take photos of!
Today I had a chance to return with the children on the last day of the exhibit. It was a much chillier day but it was sunny and there were less people. It was nice to see that the storm did little damage and now I have even more photos to edit. Here are a few of my favorite photos from my first visit.
The Japanese Teahouse…
The Flightingale Infirmary…where wings are repaired:)
A Faerie meeting place…
Drifter’s Cove…where the tides of the river are controlled by Ebb and Flo…
Shelli’s Seaside Shanty…
Nevergreen Caverns for the faerie of tree stumps and dead wood…surely busy after Hurricane Sandy….
Autumnal Fortress…
Marsh Light Manor…
Dewdrop Inn…
River Valley Farm…
A Fringe Faerie house high in the rafters…
Barney’s Benevolent Boneyard and Cemetery…
Walnut Walks…Faeries working with black walnuts…
Water Pearl Palace had outbuildings on the other side of a stream…
Branch Ranch was one of the more colorful houses…
Airborne Cottages…
Another favorite of mine was Dappled Downs, an homage to the architect Phillip Johnson..
After resting with Lyme sugar cookies and hot cider we could agree that it was a magical day…



8 comments:
What an adorable installation! It would really make you slow down in order to see everything (never mind taking photos of everything!)
wow wow wow....i would have had LOVED to have been there with you to see all these houses.....
i have to admit, the one photo that i just love is the one with the tree trunk where the doors are inset and there are the little ladders going up to the doors....swoon.
i have a thing about doors, hence "more doors" as my url even though everyone knows me as "be yourself"
Oh, how wonderfully fun! Even the cookies ~
These take my breath away - How absolutely fabulous.
What a delightful exhibit! I never heard of this, Gail. I'm glad it survived the hurricane and that you were able to bring your grandchildren to see it before it ended. They are all adorable structures.
I hardly ever say too cute.
What a dreamy, incredible place. I can hardly wait to show my daughter this post! I love it. Thank you for sharing. Hey, I love your new banner, too.
I miss you here in this place,friend.
Post a Comment